• Dhaka Sat, 27 APRIL 2024,
logo
Titanic sub: Debris found in search, evaluation underway
Rescuers are making a last-ditch effort to locate a submersible that went missing on its way to the Titanic wreckage site. Experts fear the oxygen on board may have already run out. The US Coast Guard said that rescuers uncovered a "debris field" within the search area where teams are searching for the missing Titan  submersible that traveling to the wreck of the Titanic. "A debris field was discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic. Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information," the US Coast Guard wrote on Twitter. The coast guard is expected to provide more details later on Thursday, with a press conference scheduled for 1900 UTC. The search and rescue operation was in a critical stage on Thursday, with experts concerned that the five people on board may have run out of oxygen. Rescue organizers rushed more ships and vessels to the site of the disappearance, hoping to locate the tiny vessel after detecting underwater sounds for a second straight day. What's the state of the search? Coast Guard officials had said earlier on Thursday that they remained "hopeful" as fresh assets joined the search, but the challenge of rescuing the crew alive appeared increasingly formidable. Those on board the Titan had a four-day supply of oxygen when they set off early on Sunday. But by Thursday, the estimated timeline of 96 hours had passed. In addition to pinpointing the vessel's location, the rescuers would still need to bring it to the surface — or supply it with oxygen some other way — before the passengers' oxygen supply runs out. Simon Boxall, a senior lecturer in oceanography at the University of Southampton in the UK, told DW on Thursday that it made sense to continue rescue operations. "If we give up hope, then we give up the rescue," he said. "Although the theory says that they run out of oxygen sometime around midday today UK time, they may well be able to survive longer. We don't know. It depends on the physiology of the people there. It depends on their condition. There are so many unknowns. We have to keep this search going for the foreseeable future — for the next day or two."  Ships and planes have searched 10,000 square miles (around 20,000 square kilometers) of surface water — roughly the size of Slovenia — to find the vessel some 400 nautical miles (740 kilometers) off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The rescuers relocated two remotely operated vehicles capable of searching under the water and one surface vessel with sonar capability after a Canadian P-3 aircraft detected sounds possibly coming from Titan. The 21-foot (6.5-meter) tourist submersible lost communication with its mothership less than two hours into its trip. It is unclear what the problem may have been. The operating company, OceanGate Expeditions, charges $250,000 (€227,610) for a place on the submersible. Who is on board the Titan?  Prominent Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, were on board the vessel in the North Atlantic, their family said in a statement. Dawood is the vice chairman of one of the largest conglomerates in Pakistan, Engro Corporation, which has stakes in fertilizers, vehicle manufacturing, energy and digital technologies. British billionaire Hamish Harding is also among the passengers, according to a social media post from a family member. Harding had earlier posted about his expedition on Instagram that he was proud to join OceanGate's Titanic mission. OceanGate's founder and CEO Stockton Rush was also later confirmed by the company to be on board. Additionally, a French government source said that one of those on board was a French national — 77-year-old French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet.
22 Jun 2023,22:15

Suspect in Abe killing to undergo psychiatric evaluation
A mental evaluation will determine whether or not the suspect will be indicted for the shooting of former Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Japan will hold a state funeral for Abe on September 27. The suspected assassin of former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will go through psychiatric evaluation until later this year, reports in the Japanese media said on Saturday. The 41-year-old suspect was apprehended on at the scene with a handmade gun on July 8, when Abe was shot during a campaign speech. A court in western Japan’s Nara, where the assassination took place, agreed to prosecutors request that the suspect be held for psychiatric examination, media reports said. According to Nikkei, the evaluation will determine whether or not the man will be indicted for the shooting. State funeral for Abe sparks national debate Meanwhile on Friday, Japan’s Cabinet said that it would hold a state funeral for the slain former prime minister on September 27, sparking protests over what critics see as an attempt to glorify a divisive political figure. We made this decision, as has been said before, due to Abe’s record as the longest-serving prime minister, during which he exerted leadership skills distinctive from others and bore heavy responsibility for dealing with a number of serious domestic and international issues, chief cabinet secretary Hirokazu Matsuno told reporters at a press conference on Friday. Matsuno said that a state funeral for Abe was appropriate because of the slain prime minister’s distinguished contributions as the longest-serving Japanese leader and his outstanding leadership and decisive actions in areas including economic recovery, the promotion of diplomacy centered on the Japan-US alliance, and reconstruction following the 2011 tsunami. Abe’s state funeral will be held at the Nippon Budokan, an arena built for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and will be a non-religious ceremony, Matsuno said. The funeral will be fully financed through state funds, the chief cabinet secretary said, likely to be taken from the budget reserve. We will also accept foreign dignitaries, and countries we have diplomatic relationships with will be informed of details, he said. Pushback The plan to hold a state funeral for Abe has stirred up some outrage on the streets of Japan and social media. While some have opposed the use of public funds for the ceremony, others have raised concerns that the Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s government may seek to reap political capital from Abe’s death and cement his legacy. On Friday, nearly 200 people gathered outside Kishida’s office in Tokyo to protest against the state funeral plans, Kyodo news agency said. Earlier on Thursday, an injunction was filed in a Tokyo court by 50 people seeking to stop the use of tax money for the event, saying that there should have been more discussion on the issue. In a recent public opinion survey by public broadcaster NHK, only 49% supported the idea of a state funeral for Abe.
23 Jul 2022,21:40
  • Latest
  • Most Viewed